Below are some food, restaurant delivery options, grocery delivery options and other resources that may be helpful to Seniors during this time of distancing and sheltering at home.
Second Harvest of the Big Bend (850) 562-3033: Use this resource to locate emergency food services closest to you for nutritional assistance. Visit the website for various food bank locations. https://www.feedingamerica.org/find-your-local-foodbank/americas-second-harvest-of-the-big-bend-inc
Elder Care Services (850) 921-5554, 2518 W Tennessee St.: Call and inquire about picking up items like non-perishable food from this emergency food pantry. https://eldercarebigbend.org/
Leon Fruit and Nut Exchange (850) 766-3217: This source is free to everyone and will deliver – contact them for ways to get fresh fruit and nuts. http://leonfruitandnutexchange.org/
Restaurant Delivery Options:
The following is a list of companies that deliver food from different restaurants to your specified location (work, home, etc.). You can either download the mobile app on your phone or go to their website online (phone calls are not an option; all services are online only). Payment, including tip and small service fee, is all done online so there is NO MONEY OR PAYMENT EXCHANGE of any kind between you and the person delivering the food! Different companies service different restaurants.
To utilize, either go to the website noted or download the app from your app store.
- BiteSquad (https://www.bitesquad.com/)
- DoorDash (https://www.doordash.com/en-US)
- GrubHub Delivery (https://www.grubhub.com/lets-eat)
- Postmates (https://postmates.com/)
Grocery Store Curb Side Pickup and/or Delivery Options:
The following grocery stores offer curbside pickup and/or delivery options.
- Publix (https://delivery.publix.com/)
- Winn Dixie (https://www.winndixie.com/shoponline)
- Walmart (https://grocery.walmart.com/)
Note: Many chains now offer delivery and/or curbside pickup services; check with your favorite store!
- Shipt (https://www.shipt.com/)
Shipt offers grocery shopping services as well as other shopping services from many major retailers. Delivery is usually within an hour. There is an annual membership fee for this service.
Shopping Hours for Seniors:
Many stores are offering specified shopping hours for seniors. The list is constantly changing so it is recommended you Google: COVID-19 Shopping for Seniors to see if there are any updates:
- Dollar General: The first hour of operation is reserved for seniors. Call your local store to find out opening times.
- Fresh Market: Anyone 65 and older can shop from 7 to 8 a.m.
- Publix: Anyone 65 and older can shop on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 7 to 8 a.m.
- Target: Stores are reserving an hour on Wednesdays for “vulnerable shoppers.” Call your local store to find out exact hours.
- Trader Joe’s: Select stores will open early for seniors and at-risk customers. Call your local store (Tallahassee – 850-894-2538) to find out exact hours.
- Walgreens: Every Tuesday, starting Tuesday, March 24 (through April 28), is now Seniors Day with all-day discounts and seniors-only shopping from 8 to 9 a.m. (and now open one hour earlier on Tuesdays for 60 and older to shop).
- Whole Foods Market: Stores open one hour early for 60 and older to shop. Call your local store for exact hours