Be aware of the potential hazards of electric generators.
- Electric generators can keep your lights and appliances running during power outages — but they can also pose serious safety hazards if operated incorrectly.
- To ensure the safety of your family, neighbors and Talquin Electric Cooperative employees, read and follow the safety, maintenance and testing instructions in the generator’s operating manual.
- Use heavy-duty extension cords from the generator. Overloaded cords can cause fires or equipment damage. Don’t use extension cords with exposed wires or worn shielding. Make sure the cords from the generator don’t present a tripping hazard. Don’t run cords under rugs where heat might build up or cord damage may go unnoticed.
- Never run an electric generator inside a building. Always insure proper ventilation and airflow around the generator.
- Never add fuel to a generator while it’s running. Avoid spilling fuel on hot components. Put out all flames or cigarettes when handling gasoline.
- Always have a fully charged, approved fire extinguisher located near the generator.
- Don’t overload the generator. It should be used only when necessary, and only to power essential equipment.
- Keep children away from generators at all times.
- Plug appliances directly into the generator itself. Connecting the generator directly to your home’s circuits or wiring must be done by a qualified, licensed electrician who will install a transfer switch that will keep the generator from feeding power back into the distribution lines. If that happens, the power crews working to restore your electric service could be put at risk. In addition, if your generator is still hooked up when the power is restored, your generator and your household electrical system may be damaged as well.
- If interested in a GenerLink transfer switch, contact a Member Services Office to arrange purchase and installation of a unit for your home.
- Purchase & Installation GenerLink™ 30 amp Switch: $699.95 plus applicable taxes
- Purchase & Installation GenerLink™ 40 amp Switch: $899.95 plus applicable taxes
For more information email or call a Member Services Office at (850) 627-7651.